disclaimer or something

A mummy-hand holding, (former) biker gang affiliating, hippie influenced semi crunchy granola mom's ramblings and reminisings on an off-kilter life

Monday, February 11, 2013

The Breakup

I threw it on the ground and burst into tears. The dull whir of the ended call echoed into my mind like a drill. Mocking me.

"It wasn't supposed to end like this. It wasn't supposed to even begin, you know. You're better off now" I told myself but the tears kept coming. I walked away, leaving my phone to fend for itself, leaving the last bit of you, of us, out in the cold. "I deserve a gold star, good karma, a million dollars for putting up with your emotionally wretched shit" I screeched, as if you could hear. As if saying that made it all better. Why was I still bawling my eyes out? I got rid of you for a reason so why did it still hurt?

a fiction piece for the Speakeasy at Yeahwrite

14 comments:

  1. I've done that and then realized the phone was still on. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deserve a gold star, too. I love that line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oohhh...I'm so curious! I wonder what "emotionally wretched shit" happened between them? Love that phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this makes me want to know more! I have wanted to scream that at the phone a time or two as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! What a great job capturing the emotion a relationship's end. I love "emotionally wretched shit" - so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, that should read of a relationship's end. Typing too fast.

      Delete
  6. I love how you conveyed so much in so few words. And the reenactment (hopefully) photo with your blackberry is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You captured so much emotion in such a short piece . . . I particularly love this - "The dull whir of the ended call echoed into my mind like a drill. Mocking me."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job. You so effectively conveyed those feelings of hurt and rage in such a concise way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been her ebefore. Phones and exes do not mix well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ack, i totally felt the emotion, the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A post everyone can relate to! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much said. Good tight writing which I like.

    ReplyDelete