disclaimer or something

A mummy-hand holding, (former) biker gang affiliating, hippie influenced semi crunchy granola mom's ramblings and reminisings on an off-kilter life

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

You Give Yourself Away


The song With or Without You has a profound resonance with my soul; it is a song I dedicate to my youngest son who at this very moment is but four days old.

If you are familiar with the song, you might wonder how it could possibly be a song to dedicate to a beloved newborn, and how it relates to my soul. So take the journey with me if you please.

I was in labor, nearing transition-a very painful place when unmedicated. To help soothe me, my husband put on Pandora, to a Dido mix (my zen music) and I tried to focus in on the music. My contractions strengthened quickly. I could tell I was ready to push and the nurses did not believe me so they left to help other patients.

me and my second son, brand-new
U2 came on and I remember the sunlight filtering in, my husband and I talking about how we loved the song, and I began to hum the tune and...I was hit with a contraction so immense that the contraction seismograph went off the chart, literally, knocking the baby heart monitor off (meaning fetal distress) and sending in a crowd of nurses at breakneck speed. Well, this part I do not recall, as I nearly lost consciousness and hollered a devilish roar as I bore down to push. The song continued to play but I could hear nothing but my screams.

A few minutes later, I gave birth to a beautiful boy. With or Without You represents a very immensely painful moment, but a miraculous life-changing moment I will never forget, a blessed moment...words cannot describe it accurately, but it resonates with my soul and makes me break down in tears of joy at even the first few chords. It means so much to me.

For my full birth story visit http://disorderlywanderlustblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/and-then-there-were-two.html

9 comments:

  1. what a story! and congrats on the new one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!
    I think you can also interpret the song as a message to the nurses:
    "I'm birthing this baby with or without you!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the newborn :) And I agree with Cynk it means the new one was ready to come with or without the nurses

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to have a song that reminds you of the moment your baby came into this world. Congrats and enjoy your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, congratulations! Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like you were going to have this baby - with or without - the doctor's assistance. congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love that song too, congratulations! Someone should make a list of potentially awesome songs to give birth to. Like, "Baby, baby, baby, oooooh!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your newest little one. He is quite handsome! My doctor was a little surprised when I told him I was going to push with my third. He wasn't quite ready (but I knew I was) and he barely had enough time to make it around to the other side of the bed and catch! Silly doctors...thinking they know everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!!! And the song may continue to resonate when a decent night's sleep becomes a thing of the past. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete