disclaimer or something

A mummy-hand holding, (former) biker gang affiliating, hippie influenced semi crunchy granola mom's ramblings and reminisings on an off-kilter life

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

silent sundays

"Whoever checks their cell phone first, pays the bill" pshaw...that's child's play. In an effort to truly relax and disconnect, my family does just that - disconnects. Every Sunday, we shut off our cells, tablets, laptops, and sometimes even the television or land line phone. For a full 24 hours.

I can tell you, it isn't easy. I keep nervously wanting to check my cell for texts, or see who liked what on Facebook. I want to google what to do with leftover chicken, check the weather, and email a friend. It is seriously an addiction. For 24 hours, I resist temptation and unplug.

 My first Silent Sunday was the best day ever. We drove to Santa Monica, without even planning a thing.  Sadly, this meant we stayed maybe all of twenty minutes after far too long of a drive because I didn't bring sunscreen, hats, or umbrellas and I really can burn (and stay red, never tan) in well under am hour. I watched my oldest son splash in the waves with my his and while the youngest and I played in sand - his first experience with sand or the beach.

We didn't turn on the land line until we got home around two, my mother in law was irate that we had ignored her for Mother's Day. We drove to see her and she forgave us, and we enjoyed a simple dinner together and watched my kiddos play.

The strange thing is, once I "plug back in", I find it all so....pointless and boring. I scroll through hundreds of Facebook posts that seem as dull as a math textbook, my email is lackluster, few if anyone texted me, and I realize how little I missed.

9 comments:

  1. I like the last sentence -- makes me wonder if I should try this. How long did it take for you to start caring again about what the Internets said? Or did you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea! I sort of did this, this weekend. Not on purpose but I was just really busy. But it made me feel the same when I came back about Facebook and everything else. But it's also a necessity when we blog, lol. Oh the conundrum. BUT unplugging once in awhile is so good for the soul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have moments of "I NEED internet" but I remind myself it will still be there Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny that we have to practically force ourselves to do what we've been doing all our lives; living unplugged and fully engaged? We are now all kind of hopelessly addicted. I think it's fantastic that you have an unplugged Sunday. I just heard Natalie Morales of the Today Show say that she does the same thing. All hell would break loose around this household if I tried to institute that with my 14 and 8 yo's. But it sounds kind of heavenly. We need to slow down, enjoy the actual world around us, and live in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm constantly plugged in during the week, but I do shut it down for a while on the weekends. Never a full 24 hours though. I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to unplug but it's certainly hard. I get so excited when I go to the mountains and there is zero service. I don't even have to try. It's impossible!

    Hmmm, maybe I should just move there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds liberating to turn off the technology and just be together. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love days away from technology! I take them periodically, but reading this makes me want to make it more of a regular thing. I think we as humans need to power down, like our devices, on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea! I have a habit of taking my phone with me and then whipping it out when I have 'nothing else to do' and the it's click click scroll scrolll scroll with little to know interest in what I'm looking at. Maybe I'll try this with my family...

    ReplyDelete